Friday, May 23, 2008

FLYing

Yesterday I started turning a page in my life. It all started with giving my kitchen sink a good shine.

Lately quite a few things have changed in my life. I'm down to one job for the first time in 2 years. I'm expecting a large overage check to come to me from the school (that will be used for bills). I've found that I have large amounts of time in my day that need to be filled up with doing something besides watching T.V. Which leads me to turning a page.

Since I have tons of time and tons of mess in my house I decided that the thing to do with my time is to really get organized and clean up my act. It's time to stop lying to myself about the house-cleaning. I've got to do it. I'm not upset about that. I've got time and I've got the ability. The only problem was that I didn't know where to start. The daunting thing about organizing a one bedroom, one and ahalf bath apartment is that I have no idea where to start. I mean, the kitchen is filthy. The dining area is cluttered. The living room is cluttered and as efficient as I can make it. The bedroom is disorganized and covered with clothes. And then the internet saved me! Yesterday I found this site.

It's a site about decluttering and cleaning the house. Which sounds kind of silly on its own, but I need the help. FLY stands for Finally Loving Yourself. Its cheesy. I love it. I feel like crap everytime I see the inside of my apartment. It's messy. I'm better than that. So I joined the site and am taking my first baby steps towards really loving myself and the home that I'm making. Its all about making a routine one day and one step at a time. I intend to make this a part of that experience. I need to have a place to let all my good and bad feelings about the routine. I always forget how easy this is when you've got something to talk about (or even when you don't)

So the page turning started last night around 11:30 with my sink.

Babystep #1 - Go Shine your Sink.

I've never felt so good about a sink my life. I bleached it (now it is draining better than ever!) and then scrubbed with baking powder (who knew!) then windex it and finished it off with a tiny bit of olive oil. It was so clean and shiny. I almost took a picture of it! Now all I have to do is wipe it out after I use it. Easy. And I felt so good this morning when I came downstairs and saw the clean sink that I did. There were dirty dishes everywhere and the garbage smelled, but the sink was clean! Such a little thing really did make me feel good.

Baby Step #2 - "Get Dressed to Lace up Shoes"

This is easier than the sink business. I got up, got in the shower and got dressed. I didn't sit around in jammies for hours. I'm completely ready to go. Socks and everything. I even put a little make-up on and did my hair. All before I did anything. Then I came downstairs and saw that sink. It was GREAT! I've already accomplished so much and its only the 2nd day. I was inspired. I made myself eggs for breakfast (with toast and jelly!).

Then I did some of the dishes. Except I only spent 15 minutes on them. Then I took a break. Then I spent another 15 minutes taking out all the garbages. Nice and de-cluttered.

Well this wasn't the most interesting of posts, but hopefully they'll get a little shorter as I do one each day. I'm so excited to see what Babystep #3 is!

Lots of Love,
~*Ery*~

No comments: