Friday, July 01, 2005

Heritage story

I mentioned that I had stories about my heritage to tell so no time like the present they say...here we go.

The: I'm Irish and I learned it on International Day when I got in trouble for wearing a Toga Story

EAch year my school holds an international day where we celebrate different nationalities by dressingup in traditional or modern-day costumes of different nationalities. Now the rules are: if you dress up it has to be school appropriate, and if you don't dress up wear your uniform (all girl school cute plaid skirts and all that jazz). Smple. Only problem is that no one ever cares. THere are usually abot 20 people that dress up and they are all the people who helped organize the day. SO this year one of the girls suggested that all the seniors wear togas on International Day...a traditional (if ancient) Greek costume. SO That day we all came to school and helped each other properly wrap our togas over shorts and t-shirts(to alearly avoid indecency by flashing ashoulder or some thigh). We were all very good and decent about it and didn't do anything rude like run through the corridors screaming "Toga Toga!" (Although we should have considering the outcome anyway) WEll halfway through 1st hour Good ole Sister (yes its a Catholic all girls school) comes on the PA and tells the teachers to send everyone down who is wearing a toga. When we get there both principal and dean of students yell at us for being immature and tell us to take off teh togas....we all do as we are told. But, for the first time in my scholarly career, I decide to go aaginst the authority...I mean I'm Greek! I have a right to wear this toga (even though its not in the rules I do have a better excuse). Well When I told the principal a dn the dean tis the principal huffs off to her office to find my record to see what my mom wrote down as my nationality...meanwhile the dean tells me that I'd have to proveI was of Senatorial descent since they were the only ones who wore togas (are you kidding me! Here let me get you the mile long record of my heritage that proves that one). THe principal calls me to her office and points to an itty bitty line about so long _________________, that my mother wrote my nationalities on...(not much room there)...on it it said Geman and Irish. She say" Well your mom says you're German and Irish, so clearly you aren't Greek and therfore not allowed to wear a toga" Meanwhile I stand there thinking..." I'm Irish?!?! SInce when? Oh well Irish is cool." SO I take off my toga, since I figured it wasn't worth calling my dad to find out what Grandma's last name was (Kristopolis, by the way...I mean how much more Greek do you get). I got to go home and tell my parents what happened and they laughed a nd said that if I got detention for being out of uniform, they would go get me out of it with my Grandma's last name...gotta love concerned parents. I should note that, although, togas are "not traditional wear, and only senators wore them" It was perfectly ok for someone to dress in a leprachuan outfit....FOr some reason, I think it would be easier for me to prove senatorial descent than for her to prove she cam from a long line of leprauchans.

The: I'm German Story
First off, let me say that I love my grandfather dearly. THe thing is, however, that you can't get him going on any subject unless you have a good two hours to listen to him tell the same story ten times. Well one day I asked my grandpa what nationalities he was. And so he started listing, and listing, and listing. Not that the list was long he just kept repeating himself. Well at around the third time of saying German he stops and says..." Yep, we're German. You know why? Because we like to drink! Heh heh heh!" Oh boy. I'm an alcoholic and there's no around it...I'm German , therefore I like to drink. I love my grandparents.

~*Ery*~

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hahhaha, wow, sounds like a fun day, wish we had something like that. i mean we're the "Fighting Irish" so we have an irish day, but im not irish so a nationality day or whatever would be fun.
on the note of germans, im not sure what stereotype type deal i would think but im pretty sure it wouldnt be drinking. i tend to think of irish as the drinkers.
i guess it makes no difference anyways cuz nationality has nothing to do with drinking tendancies.
sorry to dissappoint with a 6 pm comment instead of a bizzarre hours like 1:30 am lol. i just comment whenever i happen to read really.

PeLoHa
JAMiN