Monday, June 20, 2005

Jen's Grad Party

Jen's Party was, in two words, quintessential Jen. It was Hawaii themed which is one of Jen's favorite things to do. And it ended in a camp-out sleep over. All in all it was a very good time, despite the very cold temperatures. Thats right, very cold. We had a pre-summer cold spell which meant that the luoa consisted not of people in bathing suits but people in jackets. To start from the beginning would take too long, since nothing really happened but I will do a quick recap with explanations for the, ahem, interesting parts.


Arrival
Food
James
James is a person that Jen and I swam with last sumer, and Jen now knows from her job at the Y. He was weird then and he is weird now. I ended up being his buddy at the party since he sat down by me and I talked to him. Now granted he is a very nice person he's just a little, odd. But then again aren't we all? To say the least I was happy when he left, but dissappointed when he returned. He left again thank God, I don't think I could have dealt with him all night.
Cal
Corinne's brother. A very funny guy who I wouldn't mind getting to know better, as a friend.
Leis
Since it was a luoa everyone got leied by everyone else. not particulary interesting but Nancy made the note that I seemed to always get "laid" by a Jackie's boyfriend...a point I had to agree with.
The RHS crowd (including Jay because thats how he knows Jen)
Jackie, Nancy, Jackie M. and Jay (sorry the heading speaks the truth). They all came by and stayed for a little while. Both the Jackies left fairly soon after though because they weren't done making the grad party rounds...personally though I think they felt out of place, because really, who shows up at a grad party at 10:30? Not many people that I know.
The Euchre Game
A friendly thing, a euchre game, right? No. Apparently I can't seem to be able to prove that I know how to play the game. This has forced me to cease playing with Jackie, Nancy and Jay. A crappy deal that I get the butt end of but thats how it apparently is going to have to be.
Battle of the Sexes
After everyone who wasn't staying the night left there were twelve of us left. 6 guys and 6 girls. So Jen had everyone get into the big tent and we were going to play 'Battle of the Sexes'. A suprisingly boring game by itself, so we spruced up the rules a bit. Everytime one team got a point (3 consecutive questions correct) the opposite team had to take off a layer of clothing. This would be done only until a person was down to his/her underclothing layer because we aren't that willing to strip. All well and good, we are a friendly group of people. Unfortunatly I was wearing the least amount of clothing on the girls side. I was in bra and underwear in two points. Eventually we all ended up in our underclothes and then the game went back to being not so interesting because the girls weren't stripping and we all had pillows in our laps (yes I know my underwear cover more of me than my bathing suit does, but I can't seem to get comfortable in just my underwear) I was comfortable enough in my bra (although with Mullet aiming the falshlight at my chest alone for half the game it was a bit un-nerving) but not in my underwear. part of that reason being that I was only comfortable sitting crossleggged which I know opens up my legs for whomever wants to see right between them. I was voted as having the sexiest boobs, though, which was an amazing confidence boost, in a weird perverse sort of way. In the end we got dressed rather quickly when we thought Jen's dad was coming out to the tent. He wasn't but it was pretty funny to see all of us scrambling to get our clothing back on.
Bed-Time
After the game we decided to just bed down and get some sleep since it was about 3:30. The big tent only sleeps tens people squished in so two people were going to have to use the small two person tent that Jay had brought. It ended up being Jay and I because, as Jen said, I knew Jay the best, a true statement. I, although somewhat pleased as a peach, was a tad disappointed. I really enjoy Jen's sleepovers because we just stay up and talk and goof off. All the people in the big tent stayed up chatting while me and my tent buddy went to sleep because he was tired...yes I know I didn't have to go to bed too, but it was easier to just get to sleep then, than have to move later on when everyone did go to sleep. It wasn't the most fun experience I've ever had, though. My giddy-ness turned to annoyed dozing when I discovered that Jay snores whenever he is on his back, a sleeping position he seems to enjoy. It was not the most solid nights of sleep, that I can say. It was also cold since it was under 60 degrees outside. So, and this is the excuse I give to people when it is brought up, I cuddled into Jay (the true reason is that I really enjoy cuddling and was hoping for some but I got none, oh well). Back turned so it wasn't weird when one of us woke up with the other's face in theirs I snuggled right up. In the end we shifted towards the wall about 6 inches. We both had complaints to the other the next morning so it worked out well.
The Morning after
During the night we lost several people. Liz and Romney both left for illness related reasons, Sam and Matt had to go for a family breakfast, and Mark and Kelly (not originally counted) left early to go lifeguard. Those of us left got up and had breakfast. We ended up walking to Rite-Aid to buy Fathers Day cards and then coming back to Jen's. After that we took down the tents and Jay gave me a ride home. All in all it was a fun experience.
That was the party in a nutshell. We had a lot of fun and I discovered something that I would rather not even admit to myself. Romney is a very nice guy and I'm a tad bit disappointed in myself for not even bothering to get to know him better. Its a shame that my shame got in the way of what could have been a very nice relationship. At least the awkward stage is over and we can talk (and sit next to each other in our undahpants) and not feel really uncomfortable with it, at least thats how it felt from my end. I don't really know what's going on in his mind and frankly I would prefer not to at this moment. I realize that I did a very poor job of staightening my shoulders and getting over Jay. Apparently its going to have to be a renewed action everytime he comes up. Eventually it will work because there really isn't any point in lingering on a moot point. Nothing is going to happen and if it did, I don't know, but I have a sneaking suspicion that unnatural things would occur and nature would be all out of whack. There we go its all done.
Except Josh. I never asked him the question about a girls feelings and a guys. I chickened out and I guess that's just where we are going to have to be. Its an odd place to be, but right now he's grounded so I'm getting a few days reprieve. I guess I'll just have to roll with the punches and make sure no one gets to hurt in the process.
A note on the euchre game: There was more to say but it really didn't fit into the party description so I put it here as a sort of really long foot note. The them I am refering to are Jackie, Nancy and Jay. Together. I am willing to play with one of them but never more than that. For the reasons that I am about to give I cannot play with more than one of them in a group. I can never seem to lead the correct card, help my partner enough, pay attention correctly, not renig, or a myriad of other things that I can do wrong. A myriad of other things that they do wrong as well but since I am the worst player amoung them (I won't try to deny that, I know it to be the truth) I end up getting all the critiscim and I am tired of it. I resent being the only player who is asked, 'you know thats a heart, do you have any hearts?' whenever a bower is played. And I especially resent the arguing that ensues over who will have to partner with me, the groaning that I have to hear from who it eventually is, and the 'well we're going to lose' attitude that my partner carries with them for the remainder of the game. If they don't want to play with me why do they bother to ask? I have been pronounced free and clear of DK euchre, why am I still being treated like a slow 5yr old? Apparently I will never be allowed into their quorum of highly professional, perfect euchre players so I figured that I'm done trying. The next time I play a euchre game with them is when they have to beg me. And beg me because they have asked everyone else around. I will sit and watch them play with strangers before joining back into one of their games. It's not likely to happen since usually they just ask me once, since I'm there, then go find someone else if I decline. I'm tired of being the player that no one wants. And I can't say that it will be easy for me to do. I do enjoy playing the game, but if I'm going to be approached like some kind of useless appendage then I want no part in it. I know this is a harsh punishment. I also know that I will not be able to fully give it. I will most likely only do this for a couple games. It will be more of a "when you've learned your lesson" punishment than a "you have completly lost the privlege." Because even older children need a warning.
~*ERY*~

No comments: